London Zoo

Elements area



Scope note(s)

  • London Zoo opened to Fellows of the Zoological Society of London, and to the public with a written order from a Fellow and payment of 1 shilling in 1828. The royal animal collection from the Tower of London was presented in 1831. In 1847 the public were admitted to London Zoo for the first time without an order from a Fellow. After the eruption of the Second World War, London Zoo was closed multiple times for over a week at a time starting 11:00am on 3rd September 1939, when all zoological places were closed by order of the government. On 27th September 1940, high explosive bombs damaged the Rodent house, the Civet house, the gardener's office, the propagating sheds, the North Gate and the Zebra house. In January 1941, the Camel house was hit, and the aquarium could not open until May 1943 due to extensive bombings.

Source note(s)

    Display note(s)

      Hierarchical terms

      London Zoo

      London Zoo

      Equivalent terms

      London Zoo

        Associated terms

        London Zoo

          531 Archival description results for London Zoo

          236 results directly related Exclude narrower terms
          LEG/20/2 · File · 1978-1982
          Part of Legal

          Correspondence, reports and photographs regarding an accident at the Mappin Terraces when a child fell 25 feet

          Agriculture, Ministry of
          SUP/5/1/2/2 · File · 1946
          Part of Superintendents

          Correspondence between the Ministry of Agriculture and Geoffrey Marr Vevers regarding licences for the movement of animals to the Sanatorium and Quarantine Stations in the Zoological Gardens, a Vicunuas infected with sarcoptic mange, the importation of dogs and cats, animals shipped by the SS Arakaka, the detention of foxes in the Mammal House, the purchase of African Weaver Finches and Leopard cubs on board the warship Victorious