Regent Building



Scope note(s)

  • The Regent Building or Restaurant replaced the earlier Refreshment Rooms (now the Parrot House). it was built to provide improved lunch, tea and dining facilities for visitors and Fellows. To fulfil part of the 1913 scheme for a focal court, Joass prepared detailed plans for this building in 1914-15. The plans were subsequently revised slightly, the work being held in abeyance pending completion of more urgent projects. The ground floor was originally the public restaurant, with a still room and servery to the west, a buffet to the east and an outdoor terrace to the south. The indoor space is now divided as the Regent Cafe, the Raffles Bar and the Restaurant. The first floor Regency Banqueting Suite, originally the Fellows' Restaurant, has also been refitted. Land to the west of the building was laid out as a Fellows' Tea Terrace and Lawn, the latter serving as the site of the Chimps' Tea Party in the 1930s. Built 1928-29, John James Joass, architect; G Godson and Sons, builders. First floor veranda enclosed 1937. Addition to south 1965, Franz Stengelhofen, architect. Addition to east 1971, John Toovey, architect. First floor altered 1975. Ground floor altered 1983-84 and 1989-90.

Source note(s)

  • The Buildings of London Zoo

Display note(s)

    Hierarchical terms

    Regent Building

    Regent Building

      Equivalent terms

      Regent Building

        Associated terms

        Regent Building

          2 Authority record results for Regent Building

          2 results directly related Exclude narrower terms
          Toovey, John

          Architect of London Zoo