Showing 288 results

Places
Places term Scope note Archival description count Authority record count
Reptiliary
  • The Reptiliary was originally an Otter Pond, the forming of which followed on from the opening of the adjacent West Tunnel in 1920. The otters were rehoused in 1969 and the pond was refitted for two black beavers donated to the Queen by the Hudson's Bay Company and passed on to the Zoo in 1970. Subsequently the enclosure was converted for iguanas. Built 1922. Remade 1971, John Toovey, architect; plaque designed by Banks and Miles, cut by David Kindersley. Converted 1992. Outdoor exhibit built over 2014.
0 1
Prairie Marmot Enclosure
  • The Prairie Mar mot Enclosure was formed as a Coypu Pond and built with the Insect House to the north. At the time of its construction it was a novel display because it was free of bars or fencing. It was built 1912-13, with funding from Sir James K Caird. Relandscaped 1983. Altered in 2003 to incorporate a large otter enclosure.
0 0
Sea Lion Pond and Viewing Stand
  • The Sea Lion Pond, formed for sea lions and penguins, was London Zoo's first attempt at naturalistic, or Hagenbeckian, outdoor display and was based on similar structures in Paris and Cologne. Its design, in principle if not in detail, may be due to Sir Peter Chalmers Mitchell, the Zoo's principal exponent of this type of naturalism. Built 1905. Viewing stand, dens and kiosk added 1967, Franz Stengelhofen, architect. Kiosk awning added 1989-90. Pond remade 1992. Demolished circa 2013 for Tiger Territory.
0 2
Gibbon Cage and Cockatoo Aviary
  • The Gibbon Cage (treated here was it it were an aviary because of its physical form) and the Cockatoo Aviary are similar structures. The Gibbon Cage has springy trapeze bars to provide the gibbons with the opportunity to exercise by arm swinging the length of the cage. When built this was the longest artificial gibbon run in the world. Built 1960-62, Franz Stengelhofen, architect. Pool bases landscaped 1981. Demolished in 2003.
0 1
Southern Aviary
  • The Southern Aviary of 1905 is the largest of the Zoo's early aviaries. It was an early attempt to provide a natural environment for birds, giving them space for free flight. The landscaping of artificial rockwork and ponds, with mature willows, was a reordering of what had been the Southern Ponds from about 1860. The Southern Aviary was demolished circa 2008 for the Giant Tortoises.
0 0
Aquarium
  • The Aquarium is housed under the Mappin Terraces. The space had been set aside for an aquarium from 1913 when the Terraces were laid out, but detailed planning was deferred by war until 1921-22. Briefs were provided following visits to aquariums in Amsterdam, Antwerp, Brussels, Berlin and Dresden. It was built 1923-24, brief by E G Boulanger, Curator of Reptiles; John James Joass, architect; Alexander Gibb and Partners, engineers; J Jarvis and Sons Limited, building contractors; Joan Beauchamp Procter, rockwork design; cost around £55,000. Refaced to west 1951, and to east 1965, Franz Stengelhofen, architect. Grade II listed. The Aquarium closed on 22 October 2019. Some animals were moved to a new aquarium at Whipsnade Zoo, while others were set to be housed in a new corals exhibit in the B.U.G.S. building in 2020. Electricity was installed in the rest of the Zoo when the Aquarium was built.
115 2
Mappin Cafe
  • The Mappin Cafe is at the lower (south) angle of the Mappin Terrraces, a small quadrant within the larger quadrant. This 'tea pavilion', in Italian Renaissance style, was part of the 1913 scheme but, at Mappin's request, it was left 'until the best possible provision has been made for the animals'. Work began just before the outbreak of World War One, but was postponed for six years before being completed to modified plans. It was built 1914-20, funded by John Newton Mappin; John James Joass, architect. Closed 1985. Grade II listed. The cafe was refurbished in 2003.
0 0
Mappin Terraces
  • The Mappin Terraces are the Zoo's largest and most prominent feature. They were built as 'an installation for the panoramic display of wild animals' in the form of artificial mountains. This 'naturalistic' approach to animal display, which derived from the work of Carl Hagenbeck in Hamburg, was intended to improve living conditions for the animals and viewing conditions for the visitors. It was built 1913-14, designed by Sir Peter Chalmers Mitchell; funded by John Newton Mappin; John James Joass, architect; Alexander Drew, engineer; D G Somerville and Company, reinforced-concrete contractors. Resurfaced and screens on steps remade 1968-72, John Toovey, architect. Vacated 1985. Grade II listed. The Mappin Terraces now house the Outback exhibit. It closed in July 1985 when the bears left. It reopened as Bear Mountain in 1997. Reopened again as the Outback Exhibit in 2008 with Wallabies and Emus.
6 1
Michael Sobell Pavilions for Apes and Monkeys
  • The Michael Sobell Pavilions for Apes and Monkeys replaced a Monkey House of 1926 - the successor to several earlier buildings - as well as Decimus Burton's 1820s terrace which led from the main gate. First plans were drawn up by Franz Stengelhofen in 1966, but these were abandoned as costly and unsuitable. It was built 1970-72, benefaction from Sir Michael Sobell; brief by Dr M R Brambell, Curator of Mammals; John Toovey and Jonathan Myles, architects; Anthony Hunt Associates, engineers; Trollope and Colls (City) Limited, building contractors. It was partly demolished and reopened with Gorilla Kingdom in 2007.
6 3
Charles Clore Pavilion for Mammals
  • The Charles Clore Pavilion for Mammals arose from the Zoo's 1958 redevelopment scheme. It provided one building for small mammals that had previously been housed in three places. Planning and research began in 1961, but building work had to await completion of the Elephant and Rhinoceros House and its intended successor, the basement of which had been built to Tecton's designs in 1939. It was built 1965-67 following a £200,000 benefaction from Sir Charles Clore; brief by Desmond Morris, Curator of Mammals; Black, Bayes and Gibson (Kenneth Bayes and Maurice Green), architects; G E Wallis and Sons Limited, building contractors. Entrance porch replaced and basement fibreglass trees inserted 1990-91, J S Bonnington and Partners, architects. Outside enclosures were added in 2003. It was altered and opened as the Clore Rainforest Lookout in 2007.
3 1