Elements area



Scope note(s)

  • The Aquarium is housed under the Mappin Terraces. The space had been set aside for an aquarium from 1913 when the Terraces were laid out, but detailed planning was deferred by war until 1921-22. Briefs were provided following visits to aquariums in Amsterdam, Antwerp, Brussels, Berlin and Dresden. It was built 1923-24, brief by E G Boulanger, Curator of Reptiles; John James Joass, architect; Alexander Gibb and Partners, engineers; J Jarvis and Sons Limited, building contractors; Joan Beauchamp Procter, rockwork design; cost around £55,000. Refaced to west 1951, and to east 1965, Franz Stengelhofen, architect. Grade II listed. The Aquarium closed on 22 October 2019. Some animals were moved to a new aquarium at Whipsnade Zoo, while others were set to be housed in a new corals exhibit in the B.U.G.S. building in 2020. Electricity was installed in the rest of the Zoo when the Aquarium was built.

Source note(s)

  • The Buildings of London Zoo

Display note(s)

    Hierarchical terms



      Equivalent terms


        Associated terms


          115 Archival description results for Aquarium

          115 results directly related Exclude narrower terms
          An Aquarium at the Gardens
          SEC/9/2/15/5 · Item · 18 May 1922
          Part of ZSL Secretaries

          Letter to the new members of the Council with a memorandum by the Secretary on an Aquarium at the Gardens of the Zoological Society of London

          Aquarium at Weymouth
          SEC/9/2/23/6 · Item · 7 Mar 1930
          Part of ZSL Secretaries

          Memorandum by E G Boulenger, Director of the Aquarium, on a suggested branch aquarium at Weymouth