Showing 288 results

Places term Scope note Archival description count Authority record count
Elephant and Rhino Pavilion
  • The Elephant and Rhino Pavilion was built as a successor to Anthony Salvin Junior's Elephant and Rhinoceros House of 1868-69. Plans for a new building had been prepared by Tecton in 1939, but the outbreak of war prevented their implementation. The site was chosen in 1950 and the building became the principal southern focus of Casson's 1958 redevelopment plan. It was built 1962-65, brief by Desmond Morris, Curator of Mammals; Sir Hugh Casson, Neville Conder and Partners, architects; John Mowlem and Company Limited, building contractors. Paddock pool added in 1971. Rhino moat altered 1988. It is Grade II listed.
25 1
Gorilla House
  • The initiative for the Gorilla House followed the acquisition of two young Congolese gorillas, Mok and Moina. It was built 1932-1933, brief by Sir Peter Chalmers Mitchell, Secretary, and Dr Geoffrey Marr Vevers, Superintendent; Tecton (Berthold Lubetkin and Godfrey Samuel), architects; Christiani and Nielsen Limited (Ove Arup, Chief Engineer), builders; revolving wall and roof made by J and E Hall Limited. It cost £4,060. It was altered 1955 and later. It is Grade I listed. Tecton was introduced via Solly Zuckerman, then a Research Anatomist at the Zoo, and a friend of Godfrey Samuel, one of the firm's partners. Sir Peter Chalmers Mitchell suggested a building with convertible open caging to allow the gorillas fresh air in the summer and the public the opportunity to see them in the winter. To meet this brief Tecton carried out extensive technical research and negotiated the details with Zoo staff. The heating and ventilation systems were designed to ensure a controlled climate. Protection from the elements and from human germs in cold weather were important for the health of the gorillas. In 1939 the building was adapted to house an elephant and then, in 1955, to house Kodiak bears. It was used for chimpanzees from 1963 and as a breeding colony for apes until 1990 when use of the southern half was abandoned and a koala exhibit was formed, only to be closed in 1992. The Gorilla House was remodelled in 2003 and used for Aye Aye, then in 2011 for Fruit Bats.
3 2
Insect House
  • The Insect House, formerly also a Small Mammal House until 1967, replaced a building that had opened in 1881 to house the world's first public display of living insects. It was also the first building at London Zoo to employ 'aquarium principle' lighting. It was built 1912-13 with a £1,500 benefaction from Sir James K Caird; design by Sir Peter Chalmers Mitchell. The insects moved to Web of Life in 1999 which was opened by HRH Queen Elizabeth in June 1999. It was renamed B.U.G.S in 2003. It was the first animal house with electricity (cables from the offices). The Insect House was demolished in 2003 to make way for an expanded Otter enclosure.
1 1
Stork and Ostrich House
  • The Stork and Ostrich House was built to plans by Charles Brown Trollope in 1896-97; George Smith and Company, builders. It cost £3,788. in 2013 it was incorporated into Tiger Territory.
0 0
Bird House
  • The Bird House was built as a Reptile House to replace the 1849 reptile house, the world's first. It was built 1882-83 by Charles Brown Trollope, architect; Holland and Hannen, builders. It cost £9,175. It was in part funded through the sale to P T Barnum of Jumbo the elephant. It was converted 1927-28 by P E C Lain, architect, to a scheme devised by David Seth-Smith, Curator of Birds and Mammals, and a committee of ornithologists. Small bird aviaries were inserted in 1974 by John Toovey, architect. North service block added. In 2008 is was rebuilt as the Blackburn Pavilion.
0 2
  • B.U.G.S (which stands for Biodiversity Underpinning Global Survival and formerly called Web of Life) is held in a building called the Millennium Conservation Centre, and aims to educated the public about biodiversity. The building displays over 140 species, the majority of which are invertebrates. They include leafcutter ants, jewel wasps, golden mantella frogs, brown rats, bird-eating spiders, desert locusts, naked mole rats, leaf insects, moon jellyfish, Polynesian tree snails (Partula), Giant African land snails, cave crickets, fruit beetles and black widow spiders. The Millennium Conservation Centre aims to be environmentally friendly, constructed from materials requiring little energy to produce, and generating its heating from the body of heat of both the animals and visitors. In May 2015, an exhibit called In With the Spiders opened in B.U.G.S as Europe's first and only spider walkthrough exhibit. It houses many differed types of spiders including one of the United Kingdom's most endangered animals, the fen raft spider. Web of Life opened in 1999 and it changed its name to B.U.G.S in 2003.
0 0
Bhutan 3 0
Darjeeling 36 0
West Africa 7 0
Washington 5 0