Insect House

Elements area



Scope note(s)

  • The Insect House, formerly also a Small Mammal House until 1967, replaced a building that had opened in 1881 to house the world's first public display of living insects. It was also the first building at London Zoo to employ 'aquarium principle' lighting. It was built 1912-13 with a £1,500 benefaction from Sir James K Caird; design by Sir Peter Chalmers Mitchell. The insects moved to Web of Life in 1999 which was opened by HRH Queen Elizabeth in June 1999. It was renamed B.U.G.S in 2003. It was the first animal house with electricity (cables from the offices). The Insect House was demolished in 2003 to make way for an expanded Otter enclosure.

Source note(s)

  • The Buildings of London Zoo

Display note(s)

    Hierarchical terms

    Insect House

    Insect House

      Equivalent terms

      Insect House

        Associated terms

        Insect House

          1 Archival description results for Insect House

          1 results directly related Exclude narrower terms