Showing 288 results

Places term Scope note Archival description count Authority record count
Quarantine Station 9 0
Education Department and Centre for Life Studies
  • The Zoo's Education Department and Centre for Life Studies is used for the education of school parties, teachers and others, including zoo staff. It is in the far north western corner of the Zoo ground, off the track of most visitors, and on a site that allows access outside of Zoo hours. Built 1973-1975, partly funded by the Wolfson Foundation; Sir Hugh Casson, Neville Conder and Partners (Anthony Reich), architects; W M Glendinning Limited, contractors. The two-storey north-west wing, the Centre for Life Studies, was an afterthought. It was originally an Inner London Education Authority Teachers' Centre and was designed with spaces for tuition, research and the accommodation of small animals
5 0
Skeaping's Horse
  • Skeaping's Horse was presented to The Tate Gallery in 1945. The Skeaping Horse was acquired by ZSL by a small group of subscribers in 1937. It was erected in Whipsnade Park in the same year and remained there until 1945. ZSL’s costs in erecting it amounted to about £12, and Council were promised that ZSL should not incur any expense, so it was deducted from the subscriptions received and John Skeaping was sent £115.
0 0
Guy the Gorilla Statue
  • On the south side of the Michael Sobell Pavilions for Apes and Monkeys is a bronze statue of Guy the Gorilla, a famous resident of the Zoo from 1947 to 1978. Installed 1982, donated by William Timyn, sculptor; cast by the Morris Singer Foundry. Fencing was erected around the statue in 2001. The Statue was moved to Barclay Court in 2003, and then to the Main Gate in May 2012.
0 0
Bear and Child Statue
  • At the centre of the circulation area at the east end of the Children's Zoo there is a small bronze statue of a child riding a bear. It was installed in 1928, donated in memory of Sigismund Goetze by his widow; E M A, sculptor. Moved about 1977. The statue was moved to the Library in 2013.
0 0
Nuffield Building
  • The Nuffield Building was erected (to plans prepared in 1962) as the Nuffield Institute of Comparative Medicine, for the study of disease in animals, with the Zoological Society of London's Meeting Rooms adjoining. The greater part of the building comprises research laboratories for what has now become part of the Institute of Zoology. The Zoological Society of London Meeting Rooms occupy the east part of the ground floor. Built 1964-65, Llewelyn-Davies, Weeks and Musgrave (Michael Huckstepp), architects. The mobile was restored and rehung by Susan Tebby in July 2009.
3 0
Zoological Society of London Offices and Library
  • The Zoological Society of London Offices and Library building was erected to replace premises in Hanover Square. The Society's move to Regent's Park was prompted by the need for convenient access to the Zoo and for greater space for a growing library. The building's angular elevations are characteristic of Joass. The principal interior space in the building was originally the Society's Meeting Room and Library. It has since been divided horizontally and refitted as a reading room over book stacks (the Society's Meeting Rooms had moved to the Nuffield Building). Built 1909-1910, John James Joass, architect; G Godson and Sons, builders; lift made by Archibald Smith, Major and Stevens; cost £17,787. Attic and turret balustrading removed 1932. Library conversion 1932. Library conversion 1965, funded by Wolfson Foundation; Franz Stengelhofen and Colin Wears, architects. First building in the Zoo with an electricity supply. A cable was run from here to the Insect House. The Council Room, Reception and Library Lobby was refurbished in 2006.
3 1
Barclay Court
  • Barclay Court was laid out as an improvement of the area in front of the Zoo's restaurant and shop. It intentionally recalls Captain George Swinton's 1913 scheme for a court on this site. Built 1989-90, with a £500,000 benefaction from Frederick and David Barclay; Clouston and Partners, landscape architects. The fountain became a flower bed in 2003. The statue of Guy was moved to the centre at the same time and it was renamed Oasis Court.
0 0
Picnic Terrace
  • The picnic terrace, laid out in about 1965 to the north of the Children's Zoo, has crazy paving, tables enclosed by low brick walls and a timber kiosk. Demolished for Tiger Territory in 2013.
0 0
  • The playground south of the Amphitheatre was built 1971, John Toovey, architect; equipment by SMP (Landscapes) Limited; maze panel designs by Banks and Miles. Moved to the lawn in 2003.
0 1