Showing 288 results

Places term Scope note Archival description count Authority record count
  • The Reptiliary was originally an Otter Pond, the forming of which followed on from the opening of the adjacent West Tunnel in 1920. The otters were rehoused in 1969 and the pond was refitted for two black beavers donated to the Queen by the Hudson's Bay Company and passed on to the Zoo in 1970. Subsequently the enclosure was converted for iguanas. Built 1922. Remade 1971, John Toovey, architect; plaque designed by Banks and Miles, cut by David Kindersley. Converted 1992. Outdoor exhibit built over 2014.
0 1
Reptile House
  • The Reptile House replaced a building of 1882-83, which was itself a replacement of the world's first reptile house built in 1849 (see Bird House). It was built on the site of an Ape House of 1901-02, parts of which were incorporated. It was built 1926-27 by Joan Beauchamp Procter, Curator of Reptiles; Sir Edward Guy Dawber, architect; Prestige and Company, builders; George Alexander, sculptor; original landscaping by John Bull, theatrical scene artist; original heating system devised by the General Electric Company. It now houses several species of reptile, including Jamaican boa, Philippine crocodiles, western diamondback rattlesnakes, Annam leaf turtles, Fiji banded iguanas, northern caiman lizards, puff adders, king cobras, tokay geckos, emerald tree boas and Yemen chameleons. In December 2012, a refurbished amphibian section was opened to the public, displaying amphibians such as Chinese giant salamaders, axolotls, caecillians and various types of poison dart frog.
28 1
Regent's Canal 25 0
Regent Building
  • The Regent Building or Restaurant replaced the earlier Refreshment Rooms (now the Parrot House). it was built to provide improved lunch, tea and dining facilities for visitors and Fellows. To fulfil part of the 1913 scheme for a focal court, Joass prepared detailed plans for this building in 1914-15. The plans were subsequently revised slightly, the work being held in abeyance pending completion of more urgent projects. The ground floor was originally the public restaurant, with a still room and servery to the west, a buffet to the east and an outdoor terrace to the south. The indoor space is now divided as the Regent Cafe, the Raffles Bar and the Restaurant. The first floor Regency Banqueting Suite, originally the Fellows' Restaurant, has also been refitted. Land to the west of the building was laid out as a Fellows' Tea Terrace and Lawn, the latter serving as the site of the Chimps' Tea Party in the 1930s. Built 1928-29, John James Joass, architect; G Godson and Sons, builders. First floor veranda enclosed 1937. Addition to south 1965, Franz Stengelhofen, architect. Addition to east 1971, John Toovey, architect. First floor altered 1975. Ground floor altered 1983-84 and 1989-90.
1 2
Raven's Cage
  • The former Raven's Cage is a rebuilding of an aviary put up as summer caging for macaws. It originally stood just north west of the clock tower. No longer used as an aviary, it survives simply as a decorative and commemorative object. It was built 1829, Decimus Burton, architect. 'Renovated' 1927. 'Reconstructed' 1948 following war damage. Moved 1971. Grade II listed. By the 1840s the cage had been converted to accommodate a vulture and a small house had been added on the north-western side. This was removed, probably in 1948.
1 1
Rainforest Life and Night Life
  • Rainforest Life is a walk-through indoor exhibit that houses several different species of rainforest animals. Among the species in the main forest walk-through are two-toed sloths, golden lion tamarins, emperor tamarins, red titi monkeys, red-faced spider monkeys, big hairy armadillos, Geoffrey's marmosets, cotton-top tamarins, Goeldi's marmosets, southern tamandua and Rodrigues flying fox. The building also has a darkened area called Nightlife, which houses nocturnal animals such as Mohol bushbaby, Seba's short-tailed bats, slender lorises, pottos, rakali, Malagasy giant rats and blind cave fish.
2 0
Queensland 3 0
Quebec 1 0
Quarantine Station 9 0
  • Immediately east of the Bird House there is a small single storey brick building. This was built in 1908 as a prosectorium (pathology and post mortem laboratory) for the Zoo's sanatorium, which stood in the yard behind the Bird House from 1909 to 1956.
0 0