Mostrando 288 resultados

Lugares
término Lugares Nota sobre el alcance Descripción archivística count Registro de autoridad count
Three Island Pond
  • Three Island Pond is an irregularly shaped artificial pond of about 130 ft (40 m) by 165 ft (50 m) in extent, the south side of which has been incorporated into the New Lion Terraces. The enclosure is inhabited by pelicans, coots and ducks, and the three islands are planted with large willows and other trees. Built 1832, Decimus Burton, architect. Enlarged 1852. Altered 1961 and 1876.
1 1
Former Prairie Dog Enclosure
  • To the north of Three Island Pond there is an irregularly shaped grassed enclosure. Formed in 1905 for the display of squirrels, but soon given over to prairie dogs, it is about 55 ft (17 m) across. A small budgerigar aviary stood on the site before it was again used for squirrels and then abandoned.
0 0
Pergola North of the Staff Car Park
  • The semicircular area across the Outer Circle from the Main Gate was laid out by Decimus Burton in 1830-31 as a carriage sweep. From at least the mid 19th century there was an exit only turnstile leading into the centre of this area. The semicircle came into use as the Zoo's car park around 1920 and the exit remained in use until much later. A relic of the exit survives in the form of a two-bay iron pergola that adjoined the turnstile to the north.
0 1
England (143) 0 14
London Zoo (116)
  • London Zoo opened to Fellows of the Zoological Society of London, and to the public with a written order from a Fellow and payment of 1 shilling in 1828. The royal animal collection from the Tower of London was presented in 1831. In 1847 the public were admitted to London Zoo for the first time without an order from a Fellow. After the eruption of the Second World War, London Zoo was closed multiple times for over a week at a time starting 11:00am on 3rd September 1939, when all zoological places were closed by order of the government. On 27th September 1940, high explosive bombs damaged the Rodent house, the Civet house, the gardener's office, the propagating sheds, the North Gate and the Zebra house. In January 1941, the Camel house was hit, and the aquarium could not open until May 1943 due to extensive bombings.
236 14
Reptile House
  • The Reptile House replaced a building of 1882-83, which was itself a replacement of the world's first reptile house built in 1849 (see Bird House). It was built on the site of an Ape House of 1901-02, parts of which were incorporated. It was built 1926-27 by Joan Beauchamp Procter, Curator of Reptiles; Sir Edward Guy Dawber, architect; Prestige and Company, builders; George Alexander, sculptor; original landscaping by John Bull, theatrical scene artist; original heating system devised by the General Electric Company. It now houses several species of reptile, including Jamaican boa, Philippine crocodiles, western diamondback rattlesnakes, Annam leaf turtles, Fiji banded iguanas, northern caiman lizards, puff adders, king cobras, tokay geckos, emerald tree boas and Yemen chameleons. In December 2012, a refurbished amphibian section was opened to the public, displaying amphibians such as Chinese giant salamaders, axolotls, caecillians and various types of poison dart frog.
28 1
Peafowl Aviary
  • The Peafowl Aviary of 1903 adjoins the north-west corner of the Bird House. It is a simple row of bird runs, a building type established in an agricultural context as hen-runs and pheasantries. It originally comprised wooden shelters behind wire-mesh covered runs. The shelters have been rebuilt in concrete blocks and corrugated-sheet roofing.
0 0
Children's Zoo and Farm
  • The Children's Zoo is set off from the rest of the Zoo as an area where children can come into close contact with animals, generally those that are either young or domesticated. In its early years most of the site remained open. Scattered across the Children's Zoo is a miscellany of small buildings dating from the period 1959 to 1975, when the Zoo as a whole was undergoing redevelopment. The curved paddock railings are reused public barriers from around one of the outdoor cages of the 1875-77 Lion House. Founded in 1938, incorporating deer shed of about 1920. Western stables, 1959; Nocturnal House, 1963; Milking Parlour, 1963 as Chimp Den, converted 1973-75, with addition of stable sheds and enclosing walls; Animal Handling Building 1967; eastern farm pens, about 1938, rebuilt 1967, paddock layout altered 1977, dens inserted 1983. All by Zoological Society of London architects.
1 0
Clock Tower
  • The Clock Tower is the earliest surviving building at London Zoo, although it has twice been rebuilt. It was constructed as a 'Gothic House for Lamas', but was soon given over to camels. It was built in 1828 and designed by the architect Decimus Burton. The clock turret was added in 1831 and rebuilt in 1844. It was reconstructed 'in an improved form' in 1897-98 by Charles Brown Trollope, architect; George Smith and Company, builders. It was bomb damaged in 1940 and wholly rebuilt 1946-47 by Burnet, Tait and Lorne, architects. It was converted to a chair store in 1958 and shops in 1988. It is Grade II listed.
0 1
Elephant and Rhinoceros House
  • Built 1868-69 by Anthony Salvin Junior.
11 1