Showing 288 results

Places term Scope note Archival description count Authority record count
East Footbridge
  • The East Footbridge was erected to link the Middle Gardens to the Zoo's grounds north of the Regent's Canal, newly leased in 1869. The bridge is made of iron and bears the founder's name. Built 1872, R Masefield and Company, founders; D Cross and Son, builders. Cost £1,334. Abutments partly rebuilt 1930.
0 0
East Service Gate Buildings
  • The East Service Gate is to the north of the Pavilion Building. To its east there is a lodge that was originally the Head Keeper's Quarters. Given its probable date of construction its architect may have been Anthony Salvin Junior. Latterly it has been used as a storage area and as meeting rooms. Lodge built 1863-64. Extended about 1909 when service gate was formed. West of the service entrance stands a simple brick shed which was built as a bakery for the nearby Regent and Pavilion Buildings, to replace the bakery in the basement of the Refreshment Rooms building (now the Parrot House). It was converted for use as a supplies building. Former bakery, 1929. Converted 1961-62.
0 0
East Tunnel
  • The East Tunnel is a pedestrian subway linking the Middle Gardens to the main part of the Zoo. Of the original entrance portals that to the south survives. It is classical in a manner that follows John Nash's Regent's Park work. Built 1829-30, Decimus Burton, architect; John and Samuel Dickson, builders. Estimated cost £1,005. Grade II listed.
0 1
Eastern Aviary
  • Designed by Anthony Salvin Jnr in 1863. Now known as the Birds of Prey Aviary. It was extensively reconstructed in 1989 in the same form as the original with a hooped tubular steel frame and strained 'invisible' wire to enclose the space. The original bird housing is still in use and remains visible at the back of the enclosure
0 0
Ecuador (1) 1 0
Edinburgh 5 0
Education Department and Centre for Life Studies
  • The Zoo's Education Department and Centre for Life Studies is used for the education of school parties, teachers and others, including zoo staff. It is in the far north western corner of the Zoo ground, off the track of most visitors, and on a site that allows access outside of Zoo hours. Built 1973-1975, partly funded by the Wolfson Foundation; Sir Hugh Casson, Neville Conder and Partners (Anthony Reich), architects; W M Glendinning Limited, contractors. The two-storey north-west wing, the Centre for Life Studies, was an afterthought. It was originally an Inner London Education Authority Teachers' Centre and was designed with spaces for tuition, research and the accommodation of small animals
5 0
Egypt 8 0
Elephant and Rhino Pavilion
  • The Elephant and Rhino Pavilion was built as a successor to Anthony Salvin Junior's Elephant and Rhinoceros House of 1868-69. Plans for a new building had been prepared by Tecton in 1939, but the outbreak of war prevented their implementation. The site was chosen in 1950 and the building became the principal southern focus of Casson's 1958 redevelopment plan. It was built 1962-65, brief by Desmond Morris, Curator of Mammals; Sir Hugh Casson, Neville Conder and Partners, architects; John Mowlem and Company Limited, building contractors. Paddock pool added in 1971. Rhino moat altered 1988. It is Grade II listed.
25 1
Elephant and Rhinoceros House
  • Built 1868-69 by Anthony Salvin Junior.
11 1