Affichage de 288 résultats

Lieux terme Note sur la portée et contenu Description archivistique décompte Notice d'autorité décompte
Charles Clore Pavilion for Mammals
  • The Charles Clore Pavilion for Mammals arose from the Zoo's 1958 redevelopment scheme. It provided one building for small mammals that had previously been housed in three places. Planning and research began in 1961, but building work had to await completion of the Elephant and Rhinoceros House and its intended successor, the basement of which had been built to Tecton's designs in 1939. It was built 1965-67 following a £200,000 benefaction from Sir Charles Clore; brief by Desmond Morris, Curator of Mammals; Black, Bayes and Gibson (Kenneth Bayes and Maurice Green), architects; G E Wallis and Sons Limited, building contractors. Entrance porch replaced and basement fibreglass trees inserted 1990-91, J S Bonnington and Partners, architects. Outside enclosures were added in 2003. It was altered and opened as the Clore Rainforest Lookout in 2007.
3 1
New Lion Terraces
  • The New Lion Terraces displaced Anthony Salvin Junior's Lion House of 1875-77 and the Cattle Sheds of 1869 which, from 1967, had included Chi-Chi's Giant Panda Enclosure. It came in the 150th anniversary year of the foundation of the Zoological Society of London and was the final component of the post-war reconstruction programme. The terraces are a rambling complex covering two acres of largely open space. The buildings are deliberately obscured in favour of landscaping that was intended as an improvement in the display and welfare of the animals, an approach that relied on the precedent of the lion and tiger exhibits at Whipsnade. It was built 1972-76, funding from Government and Sir Charles Clore; brief by D M R Brambell, Curator of Mammals; John Toovey, Colin Wears and Roger Balkwill, architects; Margaret Maxwell, landscape architect; R T James and partners, engineers; J Jarvis and Sons Limited, building contractors. It cost £666,232. Sculpture enrichments include a finely lettered slate dedicatory plaque designed by Banks and Miles and cut by David Kindersley. Another stone inscribed 'The Lions House' was taken from above the entrance of the 1875-77 Lion House (the 'S' is a 1970's insertion). A large lion mask was similarly resited and there is a cast lion's head presented by its sculptor, William Timyn, in 1976.
2 2
Mappin Terraces
  • The Mappin Terraces are the Zoo's largest and most prominent feature. They were built as 'an installation for the panoramic display of wild animals' in the form of artificial mountains. This 'naturalistic' approach to animal display, which derived from the work of Carl Hagenbeck in Hamburg, was intended to improve living conditions for the animals and viewing conditions for the visitors. It was built 1913-14, designed by Sir Peter Chalmers Mitchell; funded by John Newton Mappin; John James Joass, architect; Alexander Drew, engineer; D G Somerville and Company, reinforced-concrete contractors. Resurfaced and screens on steps remade 1968-72, John Toovey, architect. Vacated 1985. Grade II listed. The Mappin Terraces now house the Outback exhibit. It closed in July 1985 when the bears left. It reopened as Bear Mountain in 1997. Reopened again as the Outback Exhibit in 2008 with Wallabies and Emus.
6 1
African Aviary
  • The African (formerly Eastern) Aviary replaced an aviary of 1827-28 by Decimus Burton on the same site. The Victorian building, now largely remodelled, was claimed as the best of its type in the country when it opened. To protect vulnerable birds there was a hot water heated interior with indoor cages viewable from a public passage. The floors of these cages were set close to eye level to make the birds more readily visible. Originally, there were ten outdoor cages on the south side, the two largest at either end. Built 1863-64, Anthony Salvin Junior, architect; Lucas Brothers, builders. Cost £2,688. Remodelled with new outdoor caging and renamed 1989-90, brief from Peter Olney, Curator of Birds; John S Bonnington Partnership, architects; Whitby and Bird, structural engineers; landscaping by Derek Howarth and Ron Whittle, filmset experts. Cost £485,000.
0 2
Sea Lion Pond and Viewing Stand
  • The Sea Lion Pond, formed for sea lions and penguins, was London Zoo's first attempt at naturalistic, or Hagenbeckian, outdoor display and was based on similar structures in Paris and Cologne. Its design, in principle if not in detail, may be due to Sir Peter Chalmers Mitchell, the Zoo's principal exponent of this type of naturalism. Built 1905. Viewing stand, dens and kiosk added 1967, Franz Stengelhofen, architect. Kiosk awning added 1989-90. Pond remade 1992. Demolished circa 2013 for Tiger Territory.
0 2
Penguin Pool
  • The Penguin Pool was built on the site of goose paddocks. The commission for its design went to Tecton and followed the reception given to their revolutionary Gorilla House. Lubetkin was given liberty to design an exhibition piece, a non-naturalistic stage for the antics of the penguins that avoids any appearance of caging. Built 1934, brief by Sir Peter Chalmers Mitchell, Secretary, Dr Geoffrey Marr Vevers, Superintendent, and David Seth-Smith, Curator of Birds and Mammals; Tecton (Berthold Lubetkin and Lindsey Drake), architects; J L Kier and Company (with Ove Arup and Felix Samuely as structural engineers), general contractors. Cost about £2,000. Refurbished 1985-87, Avanti Architects (John Allan), with Berthold Lubetkin and Arup Associates. Cost about £280,000, with grants from English Heritage and Peter Palumbo. Grade I listed. The Penguins were moved to a pool on Barclay Court in 2004. Penguin Beach opened in 2011.
1 3
Wolf Wood
  • Wolf Wood is an areas of fenced parkland backing on the Broad Walk. The land was brought into the Zoo in 1935, intended for the Children's Zoo. Built 1963, Franz Stengelhofen and Colin Wears, architects.
0 0
Otter Pool
  • The Otter Pool was built on the site of an earlier Beaver Pond. Built 1969, brief by Jeremy Harris, otter expert; John Toovey, architect; stoneware plaque designed by Banks and Miles. Remodelled and extended in 2003. A Meerkat enclosure was added nearby.
0 1
Main Gate
  • The Main Gate replaced a narrower gate set between twin lodges. It is in the Italianate style that John James Joass had introduced to the Zoo. A semicircular court within the gate was originally enclosed by a colonnade of similar design, its purpose to fan visitors out across the gardens. Built 1928, brief by Sir Peter Chalmers Mitchell and Joan Beauchamp Procter; Sir Edward Guy Dawber, architect; columns made by G E Wallis and Sons Limited. South west kiosk added and south terrace laid out 1971 with the Sobell Pavilions, John Toovey, architect. Terrace layout altered 1984 and 1988.
8 3
North Gate
  • The group of buildings that forms the Bird Incubation and Rearing Centre was formerly the Zoo's North Gate. It has three sections: the former North Gate itself, flanked by a former toilet block and the former North Gate Kiosk. Built 1926, probably by Walter, Hearn and Chuter, architects. North Gate Kiosk added 1936, Tecton (Berthold Lubetkin), architects. Closed and altered for use as a store, 1975. Converted 1989-90, Colin Wears with the John S Bonnington Parternship, architects. North Gate Kiosk listed Grade II. The North Gate Kiosk, added on the east side of the North Gate, was based on Lubetkin's 1934 Shelter and Kiosk for Whipsnade and was paralleled by his Main Entrance at Dudley Zoo of 1936-37. The kiosk included a gatekeeper's lodge to the west, roofed as part of the North Gate and, beyond a passage to the exit turnstiles, a block for a cloakroom and refreshment bar.
0 0