Primrose Hill Footbridge

Elements area



Scope note(s)

  • The Primrose Hill Footbridge is a replacement of a suspension bridge of about 1842, one of the five put up in Regent's park by James Dredge, engineer. Another Dredge suspension bridge was replaced in 1864 by the Broad Walk Footbridge, located just east of the Zoo, following slippage of the canal bank. There was a gunpowder explosion on the canal in 1874 and further slippage of the banks occurred in 1879-80. The latter is more likely to have been the cause of the replacement of the Primrose Hill suspension bridge. In 1906 the Zoo expanded its premises north of the canal westwards up to the Primrose Hill footbridge, the boundary of the gardens passing along the centre of the bridge. Built 1874 or 1879-80, to plans by John Fowler, engineer. Deck replaced 1906 and around 1930. Grade II listed.

Source note(s)

  • The Buildings of London Zoo

Display note(s)

    Hierarchical terms

    Primrose Hill Footbridge

    Primrose Hill Footbridge

      Equivalent terms

      Primrose Hill Footbridge

        Associated terms

        Primrose Hill Footbridge

          0 Archival description results for Primrose Hill Footbridge

          We couldn't find any results matching your search.