Articles of Agreement between ZSL and Marshall-Andrew and Co. Ltd. for executing alterations and additions to the existing Giraffe House. Includes 3 Giraffe House Alterations plans G5/100-102. Includes memo from F. A. Stengelhofen and the Bill of Quanti
- The Giraffe House was built as a direct result of the acquisition of the London Zoo's first four giraffes, Selim, Mabrouk, Guib-allah and Zaida. It was built 1836-37, designed by Decimus Burton, architect. Wings were added 1849-50. It was bomb damaged in 1940 and largely rebuilt 1960-1963 by Franz Stengelhofen and Colin Wears, architects. It is Grade II listed. The central block is flanked by rebuilt low wings. That to the east was the Hippo House from 1850 when Obaysch arrived at the Zoo. The giraffe enclosure features a high-level viewing platform to give the public face-to-face contact with the giraffes and the 1837 Giraffe House is the oldest zoo building in the world still used for its original purpose.
- The Buildings of London Zoo