Showing 288 results

Places term Scope note Archival description count Authority record count
Parish Boundary Markers
  • The boundary between the parishes of St Marylebone and St Pancras passes through the Zoo. Markers were put in place soon after the formation of Regent's Park and the Regent's Canal, and before the formation of the Zoological Gardens. Four pairs of these parish boundary markers survive within the Zoo: on the north bank of the canal just south of the Owl Aviary; on the south bank of the canal north of the Clore Pavilion; on the north side of the Outer Circle south east of the Clore Pavilion; and on the south side of the Outer Circle north of the Keepers' Lodge. Other pairs on the canal's north towpath and on the pavement on the south side of Prince Albert Road are just outside the Zoo. Installed in 1821, some replaced 1854.
0 0
Owls' Aviary
  • The Owls' Aviary of 1905 is a pheasantry-like structure with caging around as if with a 'palace front'. The 100 ft (30 m) row consists of fifteen open cages in front of simple shelter huts, probably of timber originally but rebuilt in concrete blocks.
0 0
Owl and Parrot Aviaries
  • The Owl Aviary north of the East Footbridge and the Parrot Aviary north east of the Parrot House were both built as parts of public toilet blocks. Built 1957, Franz Stengelhofen, architect.
0 1
  • The Outback is an Australia themed exhibit housing groups of emus and Bennett's wallabies. The enclosure, which was originally called The Mappin Terraces, was originally opened in 1913 and features an artificial rocky cliff made of concrete blocks for animals enrichment. It was originally designed for a multitude of different species including bears, penguins, sheep, goats and wild boar.
0 0
Otter Pool
  • The Otter Pool was built on the site of an earlier Beaver Pond. Built 1969, brief by Jeremy Harris, otter expert; John Toovey, architect; stoneware plaque designed by Banks and Miles. Remodelled and extended in 2003. A Meerkat enclosure was added nearby.
0 1
Nuffield Building
  • The Nuffield Building was erected (to plans prepared in 1962) as the Nuffield Institute of Comparative Medicine, for the study of disease in animals, with the Zoological Society of London's Meeting Rooms adjoining. The greater part of the building comprises research laboratories for what has now become part of the Institute of Zoology. The Zoological Society of London Meeting Rooms occupy the east part of the ground floor. Built 1964-65, Llewelyn-Davies, Weeks and Musgrave (Michael Huckstepp), architects. The mobile was restored and rehung by Susan Tebby in July 2009.
3 0
North Pheasantry
  • Built about 1900. Resited further north 1906-7. More than doubled in length to the west 1913-14. Additions cleared in 1960s.
0 0
North Gate Kiosk
  • Designed by Tecton in 1936. Listed Grade II. A further commission for Tecton following on from the Penguin Pool and Gorilla House. It has an unusual wave form reinforced concrete canopy
0 0
North Gate
  • The group of buildings that forms the Bird Incubation and Rearing Centre was formerly the Zoo's North Gate. It has three sections: the former North Gate itself, flanked by a former toilet block and the former North Gate Kiosk. Built 1926, probably by Walter, Hearn and Chuter, architects. North Gate Kiosk added 1936, Tecton (Berthold Lubetkin), architects. Closed and altered for use as a store, 1975. Converted 1989-90, Colin Wears with the John S Bonnington Parternship, architects. North Gate Kiosk listed Grade II. The North Gate Kiosk, added on the east side of the North Gate, was based on Lubetkin's 1934 Shelter and Kiosk for Whipsnade and was paralleled by his Main Entrance at Dudley Zoo of 1936-37. The kiosk included a gatekeeper's lodge to the west, roofed as part of the North Gate and, beyond a passage to the exit turnstiles, a block for a cloakroom and refreshment bar.
0 0
New Lion Terraces
  • The New Lion Terraces displaced Anthony Salvin Junior's Lion House of 1875-77 and the Cattle Sheds of 1869 which, from 1967, had included Chi-Chi's Giant Panda Enclosure. It came in the 150th anniversary year of the foundation of the Zoological Society of London and was the final component of the post-war reconstruction programme. The terraces are a rambling complex covering two acres of largely open space. The buildings are deliberately obscured in favour of landscaping that was intended as an improvement in the display and welfare of the animals, an approach that relied on the precedent of the lion and tiger exhibits at Whipsnade. It was built 1972-76, funding from Government and Sir Charles Clore; brief by D M R Brambell, Curator of Mammals; John Toovey, Colin Wears and Roger Balkwill, architects; Margaret Maxwell, landscape architect; R T James and partners, engineers; J Jarvis and Sons Limited, building contractors. It cost £666,232. Sculpture enrichments include a finely lettered slate dedicatory plaque designed by Banks and Miles and cut by David Kindersley. Another stone inscribed 'The Lions House' was taken from above the entrance of the 1875-77 Lion House (the 'S' is a 1970's insertion). A large lion mask was similarly resited and there is a cast lion's head presented by its sculptor, William Timyn, in 1976.
2 2