Affichage de 288 résultats

Lieux terme Note sur la portée et contenu Description archivistique décompte Notice d'autorité décompte
East Tunnel
  • The East Tunnel is a pedestrian subway linking the Middle Gardens to the main part of the Zoo. Of the original entrance portals that to the south survives. It is classical in a manner that follows John Nash's Regent's Park work. Built 1829-30, Decimus Burton, architect; John and Samuel Dickson, builders. Estimated cost £1,005. Grade II listed.
0 1
West Footbridge
  • The West Footbridge arose from Franz Stengelhofen's 1950 Development Plan. It was designed to improve links between the North and Middle Gar dens and was ultimately built as part of the Cotton Terraces Development. Built 1960-61, funded by Jack Cotton; Sir Hugh Casson, Neville Conder and Partners, architects (Frank Shaw, associate architect)' Stephen Revesz, consulting engineer. The footbridge is now listed.
1 1
Shelter north of the Northern Aviary
  • This long shelter, built in 1962-64 for open air seating, formed part of the Northern (Snowdon) Aviary development.
0 0
  • The Amphitheatre was made for presentations and events. The stage and terraced seating were laid out on a lawn that had earlier been the site of the Chimps' Tea Party. South if the amphitheatre there is an iron pergola dating to the late 19th/early 20th century. Built 1982-1985, initial design by John Toovey, architect and Anthony Hunt Associates, engineers. Superstructure donated by Bovis Coverspan Limited and designed by Ove Arup and Partners (Brian Forster). Re-erected 1990 after collapse in a storm. It was destroyed by storm damage on 28th October 2013.
0 1
  • The playground south of the Amphitheatre was built 1971, John Toovey, architect; equipment by SMP (Landscapes) Limited; maze panel designs by Banks and Miles. Moved to the lawn in 2003.
0 1
Picnic Terrace
  • The picnic terrace, laid out in about 1965 to the north of the Children's Zoo, has crazy paving, tables enclosed by low brick walls and a timber kiosk. Demolished for Tiger Territory in 2013.
0 0
First Aid Station and South Gate Lavatories
  • The First Aid Station and South Gate Lavatories are single storey brick buildings. The First Aid Station was built as a shop (and used by Granada Television for 'Zoo Time') before conversion to its present use. Built 1967, Franz Stengelhofen, architect. Converted 1985-86.
0 1
Gardening Department
  • The north bank of Regent's Canal, east of the East Footbridge, has been the site of greenhouses since about 1920; standing buildings are of 1963 and later. The Zoo's Gardening Department propagates plants here, including many exotic species, for the enclosures and the public spaces of the gardens. The greenhouses have been rebuilt with a brick stores range to the north.
0 0
War Memorial
  • A memorial to the employees of the Zoological Society of London killed on active service in World Wars I and II stands to the east of Three Island Pond, having been moved from a site near the Main Gate. Its design is taken from a medieval French Lanterne des Morts at La Souterraine, in the Creuse valley. It was installed in 1919, John James Joass, architect. Moved 1952.
0 0
Penguin Beach
  • Penguin Beach opened on 26 May 2011 and 2019 and houses Humboldt penguins. Until March 2017, a single male rockhopper penguin named Ricky also lived here, before being moved to Whipsnade Zoo. The pool itself is currently the largest penguin pool with penguins in an English zoo. Penguin Beach is available on a public hire basis for events outside the zoo's normal opening hours.
0 0