Showing 288 results

Places term Scope note Archival description count Authority record count
Lifewatch Centre
  • The Lifewatch Centre is a single storey flat roofed building erected at the Zoo's shop at the south end of what was formerly a rose garden. It had been converted to serve as an information centre and first aid station. Built 1962, extended 1968. Converted 1989-90. Demolished in 2003.
0 0
  • The Amphitheatre was made for presentations and events. The stage and terraced seating were laid out on a lawn that had earlier been the site of the Chimps' Tea Party. South if the amphitheatre there is an iron pergola dating to the late 19th/early 20th century. Built 1982-1985, initial design by John Toovey, architect and Anthony Hunt Associates, engineers. Superstructure donated by Bovis Coverspan Limited and designed by Ove Arup and Partners (Brian Forster). Re-erected 1990 after collapse in a storm. It was destroyed by storm damage on 28th October 2013.
0 1
Parrot House
  • The Parrot House was built as the Zoo's Refreshment Rooms. (The building has been identified as the Fellows' Tea Pavilion of 1898. In fact this stood north of the Clock Tower). It went up in three phases. The south block, or Dining Room, came first as a virtually free standing adjunct to an iron and glass refreshment room of 1862 on the site of the north and west blocks. The replacement north block Refreshment Room was designed at the same time but the west block, built as a Second Class Refreshment Room, was an afterthought, a fact that is evident in the meeting of the roofs. The north block later became the Fellows' Dining Room and the west block a Tea Room. Following the construction of the superior Regent Restaurant, the whole building was converted for the display of parrots and diving birds. Built 1868-78 as the Refreshment Rooms; Anthony Salvin Junior, architect, cost £6,636. (South block 1868-69. North block 1873; Simpson and Company, builders. West block 1877-78; George Smith and Company, builders). Converted 1929-30 with addition of Garden Cafe and K3 telephone kiosk; Edward T Salter, architect. K3 telephone kiosk listed Grade II. Refurbished in 2003 for a school lunchroom. Funding was from Thames Water. It was demolished in 2011 for Penguin Beach.
2 1
West Footbridge
  • The West Footbridge arose from Franz Stengelhofen's 1950 Development Plan. It was designed to improve links between the North and Middle Gar dens and was ultimately built as part of the Cotton Terraces Development. Built 1960-61, funded by Jack Cotton; Sir Hugh Casson, Neville Conder and Partners, architects (Frank Shaw, associate architect)' Stephen Revesz, consulting engineer. The footbridge is now listed.
1 1
West Tunnel
  • The West Tunnel is a pedestrian subway leading under the Outer Circle, made to improve circulation to and from t he Middle Gardens in response to the increasing number of visitors. This was the first building work taken up after World War One. The concrete tunnel vault is decorated with paintings in the style of those of the caves of Lascaux and Altamira. Built 1919-20, in fulfilment of the 1913 scheme by Captain George Swinton with the Zoological Society of London's Garden Committee. Vault paintings 1954, by a team of students from the Royal Academy of Arts School of Painting working under Henry Rushbury. The paintings were lost in 2000 when the tunnel was strengthened.
0 0
Otter Pool
  • The Otter Pool was built on the site of an earlier Beaver Pond. Built 1969, brief by Jeremy Harris, otter expert; John Toovey, architect; stoneware plaque designed by Banks and Miles. Remodelled and extended in 2003. A Meerkat enclosure was added nearby.
0 1
Penguin Incubation Centre
  • This enclosure immediately north west of the Children's Zoo was formed as small seal pond. Its back areas were reconstructed to accommodate capybaras, but occupancy has since passed to penguins. Built about 1960. Reconstructed 1971. Now the site of the Children's Zoo.
0 0
Cormorant Pond
  • The Cormorant Pond was formed as a Panda Pit, then converted to a Seal Pond, before being used for cormorants. Built about 1950. Converted 1959-60, Franz Stengelhofen, architect. The Children's Zoo is now on the site of the Cormorant Pond.
0 1
Penguin Pool
  • The Penguin Pool was built on the site of goose paddocks. The commission for its design went to Tecton and followed the reception given to their revolutionary Gorilla House. Lubetkin was given liberty to design an exhibition piece, a non-naturalistic stage for the antics of the penguins that avoids any appearance of caging. Built 1934, brief by Sir Peter Chalmers Mitchell, Secretary, Dr Geoffrey Marr Vevers, Superintendent, and David Seth-Smith, Curator of Birds and Mammals; Tecton (Berthold Lubetkin and Lindsey Drake), architects; J L Kier and Company (with Ove Arup and Felix Samuely as structural engineers), general contractors. Cost about £2,000. Refurbished 1985-87, Avanti Architects (John Allan), with Berthold Lubetkin and Arup Associates. Cost about £280,000, with grants from English Heritage and Peter Palumbo. Grade I listed. The Penguins were moved to a pool on Barclay Court in 2004. Penguin Beach opened in 2011.
1 3
Mongoose Enclosure
  • The small open enclosure south east of the Elephant and Rhino Pavilion was built in 1922 as a racoon enclosure and used for red pandas before passing to mongooses. It consists of a grassy mound within a reinforced concrete octagonal retaining wall. This wall has an inwardly splayed upper lip to prevent escape. An ailanthus tree at the centre of the mound was uprooted in the destructive storm of October 1987. Demolished and area used for the new Children's Zoo in 1995.
0 0