Mostrar 288 resultados

Locais
Termo de Locais Nota de âmbito contar Descrição arquivística contar Registo de autoridade
North Gate
  • The group of buildings that forms the Bird Incubation and Rearing Centre was formerly the Zoo's North Gate. It has three sections: the former North Gate itself, flanked by a former toilet block and the former North Gate Kiosk. Built 1926, probably by Walter, Hearn and Chuter, architects. North Gate Kiosk added 1936, Tecton (Berthold Lubetkin), architects. Closed and altered for use as a store, 1975. Converted 1989-90, Colin Wears with the John S Bonnington Parternship, architects. North Gate Kiosk listed Grade II. The North Gate Kiosk, added on the east side of the North Gate, was based on Lubetkin's 1934 Shelter and Kiosk for Whipsnade and was paralleled by his Main Entrance at Dudley Zoo of 1936-37. The kiosk included a gatekeeper's lodge to the west, roofed as part of the North Gate and, beyond a passage to the exit turnstiles, a block for a cloakroom and refreshment bar.
0 0
East Footbridge
  • The East Footbridge was erected to link the Middle Gardens to the Zoo's grounds north of the Regent's Canal, newly leased in 1869. The bridge is made of iron and bears the founder's name. Built 1872, R Masefield and Company, founders; D Cross and Son, builders. Cost £1,334. Abutments partly rebuilt 1930.
0 0
Primrose Hill Footbridge
  • The Primrose Hill Footbridge is a replacement of a suspension bridge of about 1842, one of the five put up in Regent's park by James Dredge, engineer. Another Dredge suspension bridge was replaced in 1864 by the Broad Walk Footbridge, located just east of the Zoo, following slippage of the canal bank. There was a gunpowder explosion on the canal in 1874 and further slippage of the banks occurred in 1879-80. The latter is more likely to have been the cause of the replacement of the Primrose Hill suspension bridge. In 1906 the Zoo expanded its premises north of the canal westwards up to the Primrose Hill footbridge, the boundary of the gardens passing along the centre of the bridge. Built 1874 or 1879-80, to plans by John Fowler, engineer. Deck replaced 1906 and around 1930. Grade II listed.
0 0
Discovery Centre
  • The Discovery Centre, formerly the Penguin Cafe, was built as a 'cheap' or 'popular ' tea house. It has since been remodelled as an exhibition space and shop. Built 1923-24, Walter Hearn and Chuter, architects. Converted 1988.
0 0
Regent Building
  • The Regent Building or Restaurant replaced the earlier Refreshment Rooms (now the Parrot House). it was built to provide improved lunch, tea and dining facilities for visitors and Fellows. To fulfil part of the 1913 scheme for a focal court, Joass prepared detailed plans for this building in 1914-15. The plans were subsequently revised slightly, the work being held in abeyance pending completion of more urgent projects. The ground floor was originally the public restaurant, with a still room and servery to the west, a buffet to the east and an outdoor terrace to the south. The indoor space is now divided as the Regent Cafe, the Raffles Bar and the Restaurant. The first floor Regency Banqueting Suite, originally the Fellows' Restaurant, has also been refitted. Land to the west of the building was laid out as a Fellows' Tea Terrace and Lawn, the latter serving as the site of the Chimps' Tea Party in the 1930s. Built 1928-29, John James Joass, architect; G Godson and Sons, builders. First floor veranda enclosed 1937. Addition to south 1965, Franz Stengelhofen, architect. Addition to east 1971, John Toovey, architect. First floor altered 1975. Ground floor altered 1983-84 and 1989-90.
1 2
Zoo Sports and Social Club
  • The Sports and Social Club for the Zoo staff accommodated a bar, billiard room and caretaker's flat. Built 1963, Franz Stengelhofen, architect.
0 1
Tiger Territory
  • Tiger Territory is London Zoo's Sumatran tiger enclosure, designed by architect Michael Kozdon and officially opened by the Duke of Edinburgh in March 2013. The enclosure is 2,500 square metres in size and features authentic Indonesian plant life, as well as a net canopy of 3mm steel cable supported by four metal poles. The exhibit is also home to Reeves's muntjacs, Northern white-cheeked gibbons and a pair of Buru Babirusas.
0 0
Into Africa
  • Into Africa is an Africa-themed area that was opened in April 2006. Animals on display in this area include Chapman's zebras, warthogs, okapis, Rothschild's giraffes, pygmy hippos and African wild dogs. The giraffe enclosure features a high-level viewing platform to give the public face-to-face contact with the giraffes and the 1837 Giraffe House is the oldest zoo building in the world still used for its original purpose.
0 0
The Attenborough Komodo Dragon House
  • London Zoo's Komodo Dragon enclosure was opened by Sir David Attenborough in July 2004. The enclosure is designed to resemble the dragon's natural habitat of a dry river bed, and sounds of Indonesian birds are regularly played into the enclosure.
0 0
In with the Lemurs
  • Opened in March 2015, In with the Lemurs is a walk-through exhibit housing a group of ring-tailed lemurs. It also has a family of aye-ayes living in the indoor section as well as white-tailed antsangys and lesser hedgehog tenrecs. The exhibit is designed to resemble a shrub forest in Madagascar, featuring plant life such as loquat and Chusan palm trees.
0 0