Showing 288 results

Plaatsen term Notitie toepassingsgebied Archivistische beschrijving count Geauthoriseerde beschrijving count
Singapore 5 0
England (143) 0 14
Chester 3 0
London Zoo (116)
  • London Zoo opened to Fellows of the Zoological Society of London, and to the public with a written order from a Fellow and payment of 1 shilling in 1828. The royal animal collection from the Tower of London was presented in 1831. In 1847 the public were admitted to London Zoo for the first time without an order from a Fellow. After the eruption of the Second World War, London Zoo was closed multiple times for over a week at a time starting 11:00am on 3rd September 1939, when all zoological places were closed by order of the government. On 27th September 1940, high explosive bombs damaged the Rodent house, the Civet house, the gardener's office, the propagating sheds, the North Gate and the Zebra house. In January 1941, the Camel house was hit, and the aquarium could not open until May 1943 due to extensive bombings.
236 14
Insect House
  • The Insect House, formerly also a Small Mammal House until 1967, replaced a building that had opened in 1881 to house the world's first public display of living insects. It was also the first building at London Zoo to employ 'aquarium principle' lighting. It was built 1912-13 with a £1,500 benefaction from Sir James K Caird; design by Sir Peter Chalmers Mitchell. The insects moved to Web of Life in 1999 which was opened by HRH Queen Elizabeth in June 1999. It was renamed B.U.G.S in 2003. It was the first animal house with electricity (cables from the offices). The Insect House was demolished in 2003 to make way for an expanded Otter enclosure.
1 1
Reptile House
  • The Reptile House replaced a building of 1882-83, which was itself a replacement of the world's first reptile house built in 1849 (see Bird House). It was built on the site of an Ape House of 1901-02, parts of which were incorporated. It was built 1926-27 by Joan Beauchamp Procter, Curator of Reptiles; Sir Edward Guy Dawber, architect; Prestige and Company, builders; George Alexander, sculptor; original landscaping by John Bull, theatrical scene artist; original heating system devised by the General Electric Company. It now houses several species of reptile, including Jamaican boa, Philippine crocodiles, western diamondback rattlesnakes, Annam leaf turtles, Fiji banded iguanas, northern caiman lizards, puff adders, king cobras, tokay geckos, emerald tree boas and Yemen chameleons. In December 2012, a refurbished amphibian section was opened to the public, displaying amphibians such as Chinese giant salamaders, axolotls, caecillians and various types of poison dart frog.
28 1
Peafowl Aviary
  • The Peafowl Aviary of 1903 adjoins the north-west corner of the Bird House. It is a simple row of bird runs, a building type established in an agricultural context as hen-runs and pheasantries. It originally comprised wooden shelters behind wire-mesh covered runs. The shelters have been rebuilt in concrete blocks and corrugated-sheet roofing.
0 0
Southern Aviary
  • The Southern Aviary of 1905 is the largest of the Zoo's early aviaries. It was an early attempt to provide a natural environment for birds, giving them space for free flight. The landscaping of artificial rockwork and ponds, with mature willows, was a reordering of what had been the Southern Ponds from about 1860. The Southern Aviary was demolished circa 2008 for the Giant Tortoises.
0 0
Gibbon Cage and Cockatoo Aviary
  • The Gibbon Cage (treated here was it it were an aviary because of its physical form) and the Cockatoo Aviary are similar structures. The Gibbon Cage has springy trapeze bars to provide the gibbons with the opportunity to exercise by arm swinging the length of the cage. When built this was the longest artificial gibbon run in the world. Built 1960-62, Franz Stengelhofen, architect. Pool bases landscaped 1981. Demolished in 2003.
0 1
  • The Reptiliary was originally an Otter Pond, the forming of which followed on from the opening of the adjacent West Tunnel in 1920. The otters were rehoused in 1969 and the pond was refitted for two black beavers donated to the Queen by the Hudson's Bay Company and passed on to the Zoo in 1970. Subsequently the enclosure was converted for iguanas. Built 1922. Remade 1971, John Toovey, architect; plaque designed by Banks and Miles, cut by David Kindersley. Converted 1992. Outdoor exhibit built over 2014.
0 1